ULTRA 50K and 50M DIRTAILS
All runners and sinners beware, the Devil says Hell closes at 1:30, based on 10 hour 50k pace.
- 50K & 50M decision point is at the 50K finish (31 miles) at HalfMoon HQ
- 50K proceed through the finish line & stop. 50M proceed around pavillion to Aid Station & continue.
- You may voluntarily switch events until 2:18 p.m., the 50Mile cut-off. Inform the staff.
- Mandatory switch from 50M to 50k at 2:18 p.m. Runner placed in the 50k race results.
*** COURSE PULL TIMES *** READ THIS ***
*** 50K Cut-Off Times *** Based on 50K 10 hour finish time.
- At Hell Store E-F 22.7 miles. The Devil closes Hell at 1:30 pm, based on 10 hour 50k pace.
*** 50 Mile Cut-Off Times *** Based on 50 Mile 13 hour finish time.
- HalfMoon G-H 31.0 miles. Start by 2:18 pm & deemed safe.
If later then runner will proceed through 50k finish line and scored as 50K finisher.
50 mile finish in 13 hours equates to an average pace of 15.6 minutes per mile.
31 miles at 15.6 m/m pace equates to 2:18 pm cutoff.
19 miles to go at 15.6 m/m pace results in a 7:15 pm finish, 13 hours.
- The Farm J-K 43.7 miles. Start by 5:36 pm & deemed safe.
- Goodband Pass K-L 46.0 miles. Start by 6:11 pm & deemed safe.
Aid Stations - Thank the volunteers even if they seem clueless and intoxicated.
- Mandatory Check-in (50M, 50K): Inform the Station volunteers that you have arrived; shout out your bib number to wake them up. It is vital that we record your race number.
- Some aid stations are also an exchange point for the relay runners.
- First Aid is available at all aid stations.
- Special drinks, pretzels, bananas, oranges, PB&J, boiled potatoes and surprises!
- Restroom facilities are varied.
- Most have a phone, warm blankets and friendly people. Others may be miserable and lonely.
- Thank the volunteers; they’ve been standing there since dawn or earlier.
Drop Bags (50M, 50K) Please, no black garbage bags, too easy to get put in trash!
- Drop Bag locations
- Hell – 22.7 miles, 50K & 50M – After the multiple River Styx crossings.
- The Farm – 40.1 and 43.7 miles, 50M – After possible crappy muddy area.
- Desireables but no valuables as we are not responsible for lost stuff. Ideas are shoes, socks, special food, Vaseline, scripture, TP and Head Goat Voodoo Doll.
- AT START: Identify Drop Bag with your name & number or other identifiers. Deliver Drop Bag to the designated “Drop Bag Depot”.
- AT EXCHANGE: Locate in Live Drop Bag Depot. When done and ready for shipment to finish, place in DROP DEAD BAG zone, (This has nothing to do with your mother-in-law!) It will be taken to the finish. If not in Drop Dead zone, delivery could be delayed or require self-pickup at Aid Station.
- AT FINISH: Dead bags and flashlights located in the Drop Dead Bag returned area.
- Flashlights – Headlights: Recommended as 6:15 a.m. start is very dark. The tech reflective markers look like rodents shining tiny flashlights back at you, but you need a light.
- Light drop is at the second aid station (Hell Creek Ranch.) Place in Drop Dead Zone for return to finish line. Identify yours.